NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing
The VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing aims to provide you with the knowledge and skills that you need to be a hairstylist. The course consists of both mandatory and optional units. The optional units can help you shape your future career. Throughout the course, you’ll be asked to gather evidence of both your practical skills and knowledge to create a portfolio. Learners who complete this qualification are eligible to become State Registered Hairdressers with the Hair Council.Course Dates
|Price||Starter Kit||Exam Fee|
|£2200||Not Included||+ £97|
You need 68 credits in total to qualify for your NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing. You can get the credits by completing a series of mandatory and optional units.
- Creatively style and dress hair
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of techniques
- Creatively colour and lighten hair
- Provision of consultation services
The mandatory units make up 43 credits.
The optional units need to make up 25 credits in order for you to qualify. Each unit has a varying number of credits, from 6 to 15. The optional units will help you shape your career path. Here are some of the optional units that you can take for your Level 3 qualification:
- Hair colour correction services
- Hair extension services
- Permed effects
- Cut men’s hairstyles
- Providing specialist hair and scalp techniques
- Contributing to the financial effectiveness of the business
- Fulfil salon reception duties
You will be assessed for the course via a mixture of internal and external assessments. You’ll be given an assessment book which must be kept safe and completed to show you have understood and completed all learning outcomes and assessment criteria.
Embarking on a career as a State Registered hairdresser can be very exciting, and there are several different paths that you can go down. Here are some examples of careers after completing your Level 3 qualification:
- Working in a commercial hair salon.
- Working as a self-employed stylist (i.e. mobile or home-based)
- Worked for the armed services or the prison service.
- Working on a cruise liner.
- Working in television, film, theatre or media.
- Working in product manufacturing.
You may also wish to move on to a Level 4 qualification.
To be accepted on to the NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing, you will need to already have a Level 2 qualification in hairdressing. You may also have experience of an apprenticeship in hairdressing. You must also have a qualification in English and Maths at GCSE level.